Does management research excite you? If you don’t get freaked out by the thought of initiating a conversation with academics, media representatives or business professionals, and you can put together and carry out a communication plan for, say, a video about research that you might have created and directed yourself, then you might be our …
PR officer for research communications (interim position)
… in the Corporate Marketing and Communications Department at Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM).
Academic researchers at RSM study marketing, innovation, strategy, organisation, finance, data analysis and logistics and other fields in management. RSM is looking for a communications professional who can ensure that the school’s top-ranked research reaches the broad audience that it deserves through national and international media channels, and via our own communication channels. The goal is always to create impact and thought leadership in business, and to enhance the school’s reputation.
Your main tasks
You will be responsible for the school’s online research communication platform RSM Discovery - www.rsm.nl/discovery. It features short articles, video documentaries and interviews with academics that explain academic research results concisely to the business community. It highlights the practical implications and societal impact of the research.
For this, we’re looking for a PR officer with a flair for research communications.
You will be expected to:
• independently and frequently initiate and produce multimedia content for the RSM Discovery platform, including journalistic videos (possibly with external help), articles, press releases and social media content (in English and Dutch)
• create and implement a communications plan for each press release or video to generate national and international exposure, enhancing the reputation of the school
• build relationships with national and international media representatives, and be the first point of contact for media queries on research matters
• find, interpret and help to explain complex scientific management research to primarily business professionals in a clear, relevant and impactful way
• assist with internal and external communications
• advise, support and prepare RSM academics for media appearances
• work closely with the communication and PR manager, as well as with RSM’s online and editorial teams, to produce engaging multimedia stories.
• Higher professional education (Dutch hbo) or university qualifications
• Proven experience in journalistic function with media, or as a corporate reporter
• Ability to work with and supervise (external) vendors such as video teams
• Understanding of PR, social media and creating the appropriate exposure
• Excellent written and spoken English for internal and external communications (C1). Dutch proficiency would be a bonus
• Affinity with academics and the academic world, in particular business administration
• Knowledge of business trends
• Experience with publishing online content in CMS
• Extensive media network
• Organisational sensitivity
• An external focus
• Keen to take the initiative
• Energetic, inquisitive and creative
• Focused on multi-media; experience with social media and analytics for evaluation purposes
Interim position for a minimum of 6 months, with the option of a permanent position thereafter.
How to apply
For more information about the position, or to send your application, contact Madelon Fontein via firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can send any material you think will best support your application. This includes items such as a CV, a motivation letter, portfolio items, a showreel, or other examples of your work in various media formats, and testimonials.
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM) is one of Europe’s top 10 business schools. RSM provides ground-breaking research and education furthering excellence in all aspects of management and is based in the international port city of Rotterdam – a vital nexus of business, logistics and trade. RSM’s primary focus is on developing business leaders with international careers who can become a force for positive change by carrying their innovative mindset into a sustainable future. Our first-class range of bachelor, master, MBA, PhD and executive programmes encourage them to become critical, creative, caring and collaborative thinkers and doers. Study information and activities for future students, executives and alumni are also organised from the RSM office in Chengdu, China. www.rsm.nl
RSM is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualifying candidates of all genders, ethnicities, and nationalities.