Work with us towards a world without AIDS and on an effective response to STIs. A job at Aidsfonds – Soa Aids Nederland allows you to use and develop your skills in an environment with social relevance. Over 140 highly motivated people work at our offices in Amsterdam.
Worldwide, there are 36.7 million people living with HIV. And every year, 1.1 million people die from AIDS-related illnesses that could have been prevented. 96% of those living with HIV are found in the poorest countries - almost 35 million people.
Vulnerable populations such as young women, men who have sex with men, sex workers and people who use drugs are the most affected. But data shows that it is these key populations that have problems accessing the care and treatment they really need. We think that is unacceptable. To put an end to this situation, Aidsfonds has formed alliances with other important players working in the same field to set up a number of pioneering programmes such as PITCH, Bridging the Gaps and MaxART. Programmes like these help us to make an urgent effort to put AIDS higher on the agenda and to advocate for change wherever necessary.
The PITCH - Partnership to Inspire, Transform and Connect the HIV response - programme is a strategic partnership between the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Aidsfonds and the International HIV/AIDS Alliance (IHAA) in the UK. The team in the Netherlands consists of a programme manager, a policy officer/project coordinator, two programme officers, a communications advisor and a programme assistant/secretary.
For the PITCH programme that we implement together with IHAA, we are looking for a new colleague. Someone who can make complex subject matter comprehensible, using solid arguments and a powerful, convincing story. Someone who is a strong strategic thinker but also has a hands-on mentality. An experienced professional who enjoys working at the interface between communications and lobbying as a
PITCH communications advisor
(36 hours per week)
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Developing, coordinating and implementing the PITCH communications strategy and working plan, in close cooperation with other partners. You will lead the whole process, from strategy to implementation and evaluation
- Translating programme results into inspiring, readable communications for diverse target audiences
- Producing and distributing different kinds of online and offline communications (website, social media, videos, infographics, publications, knowledge products) in cooperation with external agencies such as web developers, copywriters and designers
- Facilitating and encouraging the exchange of knowledge and expertise among stakeholders and partner organisations
- Contributing to PITCH lobbying by convincingly focusing the attention of opinion leaders, policymakers and major donors on the importance of investing in STI/HIV programmes developed for and together with key populations
- Building capacity to strengthen the effectiveness of programme partners’ lobbying and communications
- Leading an Internal Communications Working Group and coordinating internal systems for communications between IHAA, Aidsfonds and partners in countries where the programme is implemented
The pre-tax monthly salary is between €2,482 and €4,012 (for 36 hours). You will be offered a fixed term contract for a year, after which the contract can be extended after a positive appraisal, provided sufficient funding is available.
Requirements and competences
- A degree in communications or journalism
- You are a communications adviser with at least 5 years’ experience, the ability to work independently and proactively, and excellent project management skills
- Experience in marketing communications, including the coordination and independent implementation of all activities involved. You are a strategic thinker but also excellent at leading implementation
- Good writing skills in Dutch and English, able to get to the heart of a complicated topic. You write just as easily for online as for offline media, connecting with the lives and emotions of our target audiences in both content and style
- Diplomacy and an understanding of the political dynamics. You are able to communicate about sensitive topics at a strategic level, to take a stand and to ask critical questions
- Several years’ experience in the global HIV/AIDS field and/or with specific populations is an advantage
Working for Aidsfonds - Soa Aids Nederland means working with other professionals to put your talents to good use for a worthy cause. We are an organisation with an open, welcoming and collaborative atmosphere.
Aidsfonds - Soa Aids Nederland is committed to employee diversity and a balanced representation of men and women of different ages, sexual orientations and ethnic backgrounds. We particularly encourage applications from qualified candidates who are living with HIV and/or from key affected communities.
On our website you can find more information about the global programme PITCH.
You can also contact Esther van der Zweep, Head of Communications on 020-62 62 669 or email her at email@example.com. Please use this email address for information requests only.
How to apply
Please send your motivation letter and a detailed CV (in English) to Esther van der Zweep, Head of Communications. We can only accept applications sent through this website.
Applications should be submitted no later than 24 September. Interviews will be held on Monday 2 October.