We are looking for a
creative content writer
to join the press team at the University of Amsterdam. Based in the centre of the city, in an international environment, you will be producing stories and speeches about research and education, student life and the university itself. You know how to uncover stories within the organisation, write them up for different audiences and reach those audiences through appropriate channels. English is your mother tongue.
Tasks and responsibilities include:
- produce compelling stories about research, education, student life and the University of Amsterdam;
- make sure these stories are found by internal and external audiences on all channels used by the University (social media, web, print);
- liaise with different departments, teams and researchers within the organisation to create and disseminate content; curate, commission, guide and co-produce stories and content;
- write speeches, opening statements, closing remarks and other public announcements for the University of Amsterdam’s Executive Board;
- pro-actively work on research communication to increase the visibility of research and innovation at the University by cooperating closely with academics and web and social media professionals;
- fully participate in the Press Office by taking duty shifts, answering journalists’ questions about research and education, and assisting journalists in finding experts within the University;
- produce content about academic research for an international audience, writing press releases and assisting international media in finding relevant experts within the university.
- You have creative and excellent writing skills and the ability to translate complex material into compelling stories;
- you are proficient in English (native); working knowledge of Dutch is highly desirable, a willingness to learn is a prerequisite;
- you easily switch between writing a press release, producing an article for the web or preparing a high-level speech for a conference;
- you feel confident working in an academic work environment, both in terms of the subject matter and stakeholder communication;
- you have at least three years of proven professional experience in writing and producing content, for instance at a media organisation or a marketing agency;
- you have a sound understanding of (online) content strategy and media and communication strategy;
- you enjoy working both on strategy and implementation, producing longer term plans and executing them (partly, jointly) yourself;
- you love research, you believe it is important, and you want to share it with the world;
- you are pro-active, take initiative, develop projects and feel personally responsible for their successful completion;
- you may read Yuval Harari for fun but you don’t mind discussing the Eurovision Song Contest with your colleagues.
What do we offer?
We offer a dynamic workplace, wide-ranging responsibilities and lots of room for taking initiative and developing your career within an inspiring organisation. The University of Amsterdam is an equal opportunity employer. We prioritise diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
The appointment is initially for a period of 12 months, including a two-month probationary period. The contract can be extended, with the possibility of transitioning to a permanent appointment, depending on performance. The gross monthly salary will range from €2,835 to €4,274 (university pay scales 9 or 10), based on experience and qualifications, and in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (Cao NU). The annual salary will be supplemented with an 8% holiday allowance and an 8,3% end-of-year bonus. In addition, we offer a comprehensive range of fringe benefits including a generous holiday package. We believe it is important that you continue to develop personally and professionally. To facilitate this, we offer extensive study and professional development provisions.
Do you recognise yourself in the job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your CV and cover letter by 26 May 2019.
We will invite potential candidates for interviews in the first week of June (week 23). Completing a writing assignment may be part of the further selection procedure.
For more information, contact:
Yasha Lange, Head of Corporate Communication
About the UvA
With over 6,000 employees and 3,000 PhD researchers, the UvA is one of Amsterdam’s largest employers. We offer an independent, creative, innovative and international climate characterised by an open atmosphere and a genuine engagement with the city of Amsterdam and society.
The Communications Office is the University of Amsterdam’s central communication department. It supports and advises the Executive Board, the faculties and the central units in policy and implementation. Within the Communications Office, the press team is responsible for the UvA’s media policy and is the first point of contact for journalists. The UvA Press Office consists of two spokespersons, two press officers and an assistant press officer.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritise diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
You may send in your application using the link below. #LI-POST
No agencies please